The consultation period regarding amendments to The Biofuels Act is now open
Course of Action Sought:
It is proposed that the following regulations be amended as noted
1. Ethanol General Regulation is amended to:
– include the latest fuel standards for ethanol blended gasoline;
– remove the quarterly reporting requirements of obligated entities; and
– increase ethanol content from 8.5% to 10%.
2. Biodiesel Mandate for Diesel Fuel Regulation is amended to:
– increase renewable fuel content of diesel from 2% to 5%;
– adjust the compliance formula to reflect the 5% blending requirement; and
– adjust the shortfall calculation to reflect the 5% blending requirement, and to increase the penalty amount from $0.45 to $1.50 per litre.
3. Biodiesel (General) Regulation is amended to:
– repeal the definition of “non-commercial license;
– include the latest fuel standards for biodiesel and renewable diesel sold or offered for sale in Manitoba;
– include the latest fuel standards for biodiesel blends eligible under the Biodiesel Mandate;
– remove the non-commercial biodiesel manufacturing license class;
– clarify the conditions required to hold a commercial biodiesel manufacturing license; and
– remove references to the non-commercial license class.
It is anticipated that regulatory amendments would be completed for fall 2020 with a coming into force date of January 1, 2021.
To access the consultation portal, click here.